Sunday, February 1, 2009

Boys at 21 months

What a fun age! The boys are absolutely hilarious these days. They love all their new toys they got for Christmas--the *hot* ones in our house these days are:
1) their wooden stacking/nesting blocks (ok, so only Drew & Danny play with these, but they love love love them and can do them to build up a tower, or put them all back in the correct order)
2) their pretend play food, shopping cart, and microwave: this is the first thing that they all run to each morning---they love "making" food for me or anyone who comes to visit, and have learned new words like pickle, lemon, and eggplant. They also like to feed their "baby" peas...that poor baby eats peas all day long! Maybe some future chefs?
3) their easel-they love to do art--we call it "dot, dot, dot" and our easel has a white board side that they use their dry-erase markers on. When they want to draw they just stand in front of the white-board and say "dot, dot, dot" and I get the hint.
4) They of course love their jumpy which we have down the basement. If we don't go out of the house, then we are down there twice a day jumping like crazy!

Those are just a few of their favorites these days. In other news...Dylan is our first official talker!!! To be honest, I am really happy that he is, because he has been last at most developmental things so far. While he pretty much repeats everything he hears, this is a list of the words we hear most frequently from him:
Dada, Daddy, Mama, bye-bye, moon, go, off, on, car, bus, trash, ice, cold, hot, and rest. (interesting list, huh?) Hopefully the other things that we've heard him say once or twice will make it to this "frequent words" list soon too! He is basically a talking machine and I think it makes him so happy to be able to communicate--plus I think he loves all the attention he gets from talking because every time he says something I basically go crazy! What he really likes is the alphabet these days--he can point out lots of letters--his favorites are "o", "e","s", "a", and "y". If he sees someone wearing one of those letters on a sweatshirt for example, he will say it. So funny! Next to talk......hmmm, I am going to have to say.....Danny!

And I'm not really wanting to jinx anything......but.....we have a pretty good schedule going these days!
6:30am (give/take)-wake up
7:15am -breakfast
8am-9am-play
9am-yogurt snack
9:30-11:15-play
11:15-ish -lunch
12:35pm-nap
(this is the key to our schedule--I am now putting the boys to nap around 12:30ish or a little later and it has made a big difference in how long they sleep! now all three of them will generally sleep until about 1:45 on the early side, or up to 2:15 on the later side...never longer then that though...but still, I will take it!)
2pm-play
3pm-5pm afternoon snack and play!
5pm-dinner
6:20pm-upstairs to start baths
7pm-bedtime

I still have Stacy coming every Monday-Thursday from 8am-12noon. It has been so great to have her here for an extra pair of hands. She reads to one, and I am playing with the other two, or vice-versa. The boys love having the extra attention. It has also allowed us to go out more! We have tried story time at our library (while that didn't work out the first time, we will try it again...) and Gymboree, which we are loving! Even Target trips are now possible! It is nice to be able to get out of the house during the day!

Things are humming along nicely these days and we're in a good groove. The boys continue to crack us up with the things they do and say!