Sunday, May 6, 2007

I'm home!

Because we had the boys late on Tuesday night, they still counted that as our "first night" and I was released from the hospital at 11am yesterday (Saturday). I was glad to be going home so that I could rest without all the noises from the hospital and all the poking from the nurses. On the other hand, it was also a sad day because I had to leave all three little boys back at the hospital. It was so convenient for me to be there because Ryan & I could go visit the boys anytime we liked. He would wheel me down to the NICU in the morning, the afternoon, and sometimes we were visiting them after midnight to do a feeding. But I know that I need to get better and heal and then I will be in better shape to take care of them---and they are in such good care right now. The nurses in the NICU LOVE our babies. Danny was in another NICU room, but now all three are together in the same room. Each of their nurses thinks that "their Carter boy" is the cutest.
The boys are all doing so well, we are so blessed. Danny is still the smallest, but he is eating much better now. He continues to grow and get stronger with each day. He is so peaceful and calm and you just can't help but fall in love with his sweet face. Andrew did have a little IV in his head which you may have noticed in some of the pictures but that is out now. He is our mover and stretcher and is just constantly in motion. He is so charming...he wins over everyone with his smiles he gives after he's been fed. Dylan, out big boy, continues to make leaps and bounds. His sweet cheeks and slight overbite make him picture perfect. He is very alert and loves to stare up at anyone who feeds him. He will look deep into your eyes.
As of last night, the news is that all boys are off their antibiotics, and off their IVs. They are all allowed to eat as much as they will take in their bottles. Dylan's feeding tube was removed 2 days ago. They are all going to the bathroom regularly. The big news as of last night was that Dylan might be moving out of his isolette and into an open air crib! This is great news because it means they now want him to try to regulate his own body temperature--a step that needs to be taken before he can come home! It would be so great if he could be home by next Sunday for Mother's Day!
Hopefully Andrew and Danny aren't far behind! The doctor in the NICU doesn't like to make long term predictions on when they will come home, he prefers to take it on a day by day basis. There are still a lot of things the boys need to be able to accomplish before they are ok here at home. They are still losing a little weight, but they told us they have to lose a little before they can gain a lot. They seem to be right on that turning point though, which is good. Each of these boys is a little fighter!!!
This week will be spent with me taking it easy and recovering. Having my mom here, along with Ryan, has made such a difference! I am definitely getting spoiled here at home with my every need catered too and fresh flowers surrounding me. I spend most of my time up in my bedroom (I haven't slept in here in 4 months!) since it is right next to our only bathroom in the house. It is nice not to have to go up/down the stairs like I was doing before! I am getting up often to do little laps around our room and the nursery, which is helping me feel stronger. I have to go back to see my doctor on Tuesday or Wednesday to get my incision checked out. My mom and I are also planning to visit the boys during the day (with Georgia when she can!) at the hospital. All we have to do is call the NICU and the nurses let us know the boys feeding schedule for the day (still not 100% consistent yet) and we can time our visit so we can feed them! Ryan will try to go after work or later at night for a later feeding.
We have gotten so many phone calls and emails that we haven't gotten a chance to respond to yet--but please know how much they are appreciated! Our boys are so lucky to have such a great support network--from all over the country! All your prayers are continuing to help them get stronger every day!
Here are a few more pics of the boys from before we left the hospital yesterday.
Picture #1: Danny
Picture #2: Andrew
Picture #3: Dylan