Saturday, September 29, 2007

Tonight's menu: Rice cereal for all!!

Tonight I started the boys on rice cereal! Our pediatrician in California had told me to wait until 5 months to start the boys on it so with Monday being their 5 month birthday, I figured why not start tonight? Eating solids is such an exciting venture for us! I decided to give them their "treat" at their 5pm bottle, so it could settle into their stomachs before they ate again at 7pm to go to bed. The instructions I got from my doctor (plus every other website and book I've read) say to give the baby 1 teaspoon of rice cereal to start. So I took 1 teaspoon of the dry rice powder flakes and mixed it with some formula to get it to a basically watery consistency. I was shocked to see how much "cereal" 1 teaspoon of the dry flakes actually goes! I thought I would make 1 teaspoon for each baby, but everyone I talked to said that for the first time (and even for the whole first week possibly) they will hardly take any of it and mostly spit it out because they don't know how to use a spoon and don't really know how to swallow, etc. So I figured I would use the 1 teaspoon in the bowl for all 3 of them tonight for the first time. I couldn't believe how well they did---they were so good! Dylan sucked his little spoon (it was MY baby spoon when I was a baby!) dry (I thought I was only going to give them 1 taste from the baby spoon) so I ended up giving him about 6 spoonfulls before I switched over to Andrew and believe me, he could have eaten a lot more of it! Their faces were priceless to see--each one trying to figure out the whole spoon thing! Check out the pictures!